The City-County Board of Health is appointed by the County Board and City Council for 5 year terms (no tenure).
The Board meets at 5:15 pm; see annual calendar for meetings dates and general topics.
The Board of Health shall have authority to enforce such rules and regulations as may be adopted by the department under the laws of the State. It may adopt such rules for its own guidance and for the government of the Health Department as may be deemed necessary to protect and improve public health, not inconsistent with State law nor with rules and regulations of the department. The Board of Health has complete and exclusive control over the management and operations of the Health Department. The Board of Health prepares the budget, determines how the budget allocations made by the city and the county are reflected within the Department's operation or programming, appoints the City-County Director/Health Officer and determines employee compensation.
The City-County Health Department shall be managed by the Board of Health consisting of 8 members:
- 1 City Council member.
- 1 County Board member appointed by the Chair of the County Board with the approval of the Board.
- 2 physicians practicing in the County selected from a list of 5 physicians furnished by the County Medical Society. One such physician shall be appointed by the Chair of the County Board with the approval of the Board and one by the City Manager (Advisory Committee on Appointments), with the approval of the City Council.
- 1 dentist practicing in the County appointed by the Chair of the County Board with the approval of the Board from a list of 3 dentists submitted by the County Dental Society.
- 1 registered nurse with experience in community health practice. Such nurse shall be jointly appointed by the City and the County.
- 2 residents of the County with a broad social viewpoint and a serious interest in the health protection of the community. The Chair of the County Board, with the approval of the County Board, shall appoint one such member and the City Manager (Advisory Committee on Appointments), with the approval of the City Council, shall appoint the other.
CURRENT BOARD OF HEALTH MEMBERS
|Berge, Emily||City Council|
|Bodeau, Donald, MD||EC County|
|Eddy, Jennifer, MD||EC City|
|Johnson, Blair T., DDS||EC County|
|Nieman, Martha||County Board|
|Price, Merey, RN||EC City/County|
|Spencer, Elizabeth||EC City|
|Stroede, Kari||EC County|
For more information about the City-County Board of Health that is not addressed on the website, please contact the Health Department at (715) 839-4718 or visit the Health Department webpage.