Skip to page body Switch to mobile view Home About Us I Want To... Departments Government Residents Businesses Visitors

Code Enforcement Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City of Eau Claire has many written ordinances that are designed to maintain a healthy, safe and clean environment, carry out land use policy and preserve the quality-of-life standards that residents and businesses enjoy in our community.


There are many types of codes: Zoning Codes, Fire Codes, Uniform Building Codes, Housing maintenance codes, various health and safety codes. Code enforcement is a responsibility shared by many City departments. To be effective and efficient, code enforcement also needs the cooperation of residents and businesses.


Because there are so many codes—many involving complex technical or legal issues—residents frequently have questions about code enforcement and their role in keeping Eau Claire a great place to live and work. The following information will answer the most frequently asked questions about code enforcement in our community.
The code enforcement process is typically initiated in several ways:
  1. In response to a complaint by an individual; or a neighborhood association
  2. Observation of a code violation by City staff as they patrol the community and do their jobs;
  3. As a consequence of an action (for example, an application for a building permit or a request for a zoning variance).


The City relies on residents to help identify possible code violations, particularly in these areas:
  • Abandoned and/or inoperable vehicles
  • Graffiti on public or private property
  • Housing maintenance issues
  • Illegal dumping of garbage and debris
  • Illegal dumping of oils and other hazardous materials into storm drains
  • Illegal signs, such as advertising flyers and portable ground signs
  • Long grass and weed violations
  • Overflowing garbage or other garbage problems
  • Overgrown foliage blocking stop signs, impeding sight of driveways or making corners dangerous
  • Parking regulations in residential neighborhoods – on-street parking and parking on lawns
  • Snow and ice on public sidewalks
  • Zoning and occupancy issues

How do I notify the City about a possible code violation?

You may file a complaint about a possible code violation in person, in writing or by phone. Phone numbers of the departments are listed below. In an average year, the City receives thousands of complaints related to possible code enforcement violations.            

Please be prepared with specific information, such as:
The address of the property,
Detailed description of the situation, and
The length of time you have observed the situation.
You do not have to identify yourself, but having your name will assist us with follow-up and ensure we have all the information we need to resolve the situation.


City staff responds to code enforcement complaints according to the impact of the violation on the community. Situations that appear to pose a serious risk to health and safety are given top priority; others are pursued in the order in which they are received.
For all types of code complaints, the first step in the follow-up procedure is an inspection by a City staff member to see if a code violation exists. In general a notice of violation is issued to the owner/tenant to correct the code violation in a timely manner. The City may also take court action if the situation poses a significant risk to the community or if the individual has ignored the notice of violation.


In many cases, the individual responsible for the code violation is given the opportunity to voluntarily correct the situation and comply with current codes without a penalty. If the correction is not made, then the individual may be subject to fines and civil injunctions or other penalties.
Specific Complaint

Abandoned vehicles on public streets


(715) 839-4972

Animal control—dogs running at large (daytime), licensing and vaccination of dogs, dead or injured animals


Animal Control

(715) 839-4972

Animal control—barking dogs, poisoning of animals, possession of fighting animals


Animal Control

(715) 839-4972

Animals—too many, unsanitary conditions

Animal Control (715) 839-4972

Buildings, dangerous or substandard

Code Enforcement

(715) 839-4947
Fire hazard


(715) 839-4825
Emergency Fire (24 hours) 9-1-1
Furniture on porches/yards  Code Enforcement (715) 839-4947 

Garbage—overflowing garbage cans or dumpsters

City-County Health Dept. (715) 839-4718

Garbage cans at properties left out on the street longer than a day before or after collection day

City-County Health Dept. (715) 839-4718
Graffiti - Private Property Police Dept (715) 839-4972

Graffiti – Public Property


(715) 839-4934

Hazardous Waste Residential/Commercial/Industrial            

City-County Health
(715) 839-4718
(715) 839-4925
Housing Code Issues  City-County Health Dept (715) 839-4718
Inoperable vehicles parked on private property Code Enforcement (715) 839-4947
Noise disturbances Police Dept. (715) 839-4972

Signs, illegally posted

Code Enforcement

(715) 839-4947

Smoking in prohibited buildings

City-County Health Dept (715) 839-4718
Snow and ice on public sidewalks Streets Division (715) 839-4963

Storm drains—illegal dumping

Engineering (715) 839-4934

Street trees—trimming

Forestry Dept.

(715) 839-5039
Vegetation blocking sidewalk, obstructing signs or obstructing vehicle sight lines Streets Division (715) 839-4963
Vehicles – parked on unimproved surface Police (715) 839-4972

Vehicles illegally parked on public streets


(715) 839-4972

Weed abatement, long grass

Streets Division (715) 839-4963

Zoning occupancy issues and questions

Community Development

(715) 839-4947

For more information on housing code issues/complaints, please visit