Skip to page body Switch to mobile view Home About Us I Want To... Departments Government Residents Businesses Visitors

Rental Registration FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  1. What are the requirements of having to register my rental unit?
    • All properties containing at least one residential rental housing unit must register with the City of Eau Claire by submitting a fee of $5 per property and a completed registration form with the following information;
      • Name of the owner of each residential rental housing unit
      • Name, address, and telephone number of authorized contact person for each residential rental housing unit
      • If there is a change of ownership, properties must be re-registered with the new owners and submit a new application and $5 registration fee per property. If you sell a rental property, please call the Health Department at (715)-839-4718 to remove the property from your account.

  2. What does “per property” mean?
    • Per property means each building structure. For example, if you have a home or apartment complex with 4 units all within one building/structure you have to pay $5. 
  3. Why do I have to register?
    • Assist property owners to receive notifications as timely as possible and build stronger communication between the city.
    • Increase efficiency in notifying property owners of inspections
    • Facilitate faster resolution of violations
  4. How do I register my rental unit?
  5. What if I do not want to provide an e-mail address to register my rental property online?
    • If you do not want to provide an e-mail address to register your rental property online you have the following options to register:
      • Phone: (715)-839-4718, Monday - Friday - 8 AM - 4:30 PM. Be prepared to answer the registration questions and provide credit/debit card information.
      • In-person: Visit the Health Department at 720 Second Ave. Eau Claire, WI 54703, be prepared to fill out the application and pay with cash, check, or credit card.
      • Mail: Print application, fill out and mail with payment to Eau Claire City-County Health Department, 720 Second Ave. Eau Claire, WI 54703.
  6. What is the penalty for not registering my properties?
    • Step enforcement will be taken for properties that are not registered.
  7. Is my personal information distributed to the public? How is the information from rental registration used?
    • Your information is used for the Health Department inspectors to use. Your information will also be accessible by the Fire and Police Department. Your information is not distributed or available to the public unless an open records request is made.
  8. How do I know my password?
    • Your password will be e-mailed to you. You may reset your password anytime by clicking the ‘I Want To’ dropdown menu in the rental registration website.
  9. What if I do not receive my password?
    • Please check your junk/spam email folders. If you did not receive the email, call the Health Department at 715-839-4718 and we will be able to email your password to you.
  10. I forgot my password
    • If you forget your password click ‘Forgot Password’ on the login screen. You will then be prompted to enter your e-mail address and a reset password link will be sent to you.
  11. I have a property with ‘1/2’ in the address. Do I include the ‘1/2’ unit on the registration?
    • No, only list the main address of the property and not the ‘1/2’.
  12. What if I have multiple rental properties to register?
    • If you are filling out the paper application form you will have to use multiple forms to ensure all properties within the City of Eau Claire are registered.
    • If you are registering online, see the step by step instructions.
      • After you have put in your first property, you will go back up to the ‘I Want To’ drop down menu. Click ‘Add New Property’ and add the second property’s information. Repeat this process until all rental units are registered and listed under Your Properties.
  13. I have rental properties that are in the City of Eau Claire but are in Chippewa County, do I still have to register?
    • Yes, if you have any rental property in the City of Eau Claire you must register.