Our annual fall #MoreKidsDrugFree campaign is aimed at helping community members understand the alcohol and drug problems facing our local youth and letting community members know what they can do to help prevent those problems.
The focus in 2017 was on prescription drug misuse. Find out more below...
Prescription drug misuse can be tragic, that is why the Alliance is bringing people together to impact this issue locally.
FACTS IN EAU CLAIRE COUNTY
- Over 200 high school youth in Eau Claire county report misusing prescription drugs in the past month.
- Most addictions begin at an early age, and in Eau Claire County, the average age of first misuse is 13.
- In Eau Claire County, prescription drug misuse continues to increase as kids get older - prevention efforts NOW will help change the trend.
THEY SAY IT'S EASY TO GET
- Nearly 1 out of 4 teens in Eau Claire County say prescription medications are EASY to get.
- Young people commonly report getting them from a home/grandparent's home without permission, or from a friend.
- The reasons for the high prevalence of prescription drug abuse vary by age, gender, and other factors, but greater availability is one the root causes.
EVERYONE HAS A ROLE TO PLAY IN PROTECTING OUR YOUTH!
- Learn how to safely use, store, and dispose of medications on our Home Page! This page includes information about the October 28th Take Back Day and about the five year-round drop off locations in Eau Claire County with how-to videos for each location.
- Be informed! It is important that as a community we are informed.
- Talk about the issue! Have conversations with kids, loved ones, students, friends and employees.
RESOURCES TO BE INFORMED AND TAKE ACTION
Learn about teen medicine misuse and its prevention: https://teens.drugabuse.gov/drug-facts/prescription-drugsInformation and actions you can take as...
- Students & Young People
- Prescribing Medical, Dental, and Pharmacy Providers
To find out more and how YOU can get involved, please email
Lil Piñero, CPS (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Denise Wirth, BSN, RN (email@example.com)
OR call 715-839-4718 and ask for either Lil or Denise