Skip to page body Switch to mobile view Home About Us I Want To... Departments Government Residents Businesses Visitors

Deer Hunting

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City of Eau Claire recently completed a study of the deer population in Eau Claire. The inventory indicated urban deer populations in excess of 100 deer per square mile. Healthy urban wildlife is ideal at between 15 and 25 per square mile. One of the major causes is voluntary and involuntary feeding of deer within City limits. State law and City ordinance prohibit baiting and feeding deer.

Recent changes have been made to Wisconsin State Law that increase hunting opportunities on private property within the City limits. Hunters with a Wisconsin DNR license and tags may hunt on private property within the City of Eau Claire with no additional permits or fees provided the hunter is more than 50 yards from a dwelling or the person who owns the land on which the dwelling is located gives written permission to the person to use or discharge an arrow or crossbow within 50 yards of the dwelling.

If a hunter is less than 50 yards from another property owner's dwelling the hunter must obtain written permission from that property owner to hunt.

If a deer leaves the hunter's property the hunter must have prior permission from surrounding property owners to retrieve that deer.

bowhunter_2012_09_13_0001Important Links & Documents
City Ordinance PDF
Deer Feeding Ban PDF
Deer Management Plan PDF
Interested Hunters List PDF
Wisconsin Legislature: Act 71

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need to post "No Hunting" signs on my property in order to keep hunters off?
A: No, property owners must give permission to anyone entering their property. Hunters may not hunt on someone else's property without property owner permission.

Q: I want to hunt on my property within the City of Eau Claire. What additional permits do I need?
A: None. Hunter's must comply with State hunting laws and be more than 50 yards from an inhabitable dwelling or have permission from that neighbor.

Q: I would like to hunt on someone else's property in Eau Claire. How can I let property owners know that I am available to hunt?
A: Contact Eau Claire Parks & Recreation at (715) 839-5032 or by email ( and we will put your name on this website as a hunter that is available and interested in hunting in the City. Property owners may then contact you and work out permission to hunt on their property.

Q: Can I hunt on public property this season, such as the City Wells?
A: No. Hunting on public property is not allowed at this time, but may be explored for the future.

Q: What if I find a dead deer in my yard?
A: Please contact the Community Services Department at (715) 839-4963 and the City will retrieve the deer if the deer is accessible on the boulevard. If a deer dies in your yard, please place it on a plastic tarp and drag it to the boulevard for pickup. The City will not go on to your property to retrieve a deer.