Skip to page body Switch to mobile view Home About Us I Want To... Departments Government Residents Businesses Visitors

Zoning Ordinances

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City of Eau Claire's Zoning Ordinances establishes land use and building requirements for property within the City to meet the objectives of the Comprehensive Plan. Eau Claire is divided into zoning districts that have regulations governing the use of property, location of buildings, size of buildings, the size of yards and open spaces, parking and other site improvements. The Planning Division and Inspection Services Division administers the Zoning Ordinance and provides staff support for the Zoning Board of Appeals.

Changes in zoning must be in compliance with the Comprehensive Plan and approved by the City Council.  The application used for submitting a rezoning request can be found here.  The application form includes the fee schedule for rezonings.  Deadlines for the submittal of the applications can be found here.

The City has one-mile sectional zoning maps having a scale of 1-inch equals 200 feet available for inspection and review at City Hall. Copies of individual sections of the zoning map are available upon request for $6.00 each. The City also has a display map of the entire City, which shows the zoning. This map is available for $10.00.

Zoning and property maps can also be viewed on the City's website.  These maps are located at the City's Mapping Services page. 

If determined that a variance to one of the zoning requirements would be needed to proceed with a project, the building owner or representative should discuss the request with the Zoning Administrator prior to making a formal application. The Board of Appeals must find that practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship exist in order to grant a variance. A variance addresses only bulk, density and height standards. Uses are not addressed by a variance.

When an application fee is submitted with a completed variance application form, the Zoning Administrator will place the request on the agenda of the Zoning Board of Appeals