Skip to page body Switch to mobile view Home About Us I Want To... Departments Government Residents Businesses Visitors

All City FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

For best results, please choose a category or department.

  • Where can I find more information?

  • How does lead get into drinking water?

    • Generally, finished drinking water contains no lead.

    • Lead may be present in piping and plumbing fixtures found in customers’ homes.

    • If drinking water is corrosive, it can corrode customers’ lead service lines and plumbing fixtures, which can result in elevated lead levels in drinking water.

    • Homes constructed before 1940 may be served by a lead water service line. Copper pipe installed before 1985 may have been installed using lead-containing solder.
  • What are the health effects of lead in drinking water?

    • Customers who drink water with elevated lead levels can suffer long term health impacts including damage to the liver, kidneys, or even the brain.

    • Mental development issues are a significant concern for children exposed to lead contamination.

    • In 1991, the Environmental Protection Agency published a regulation to control lead and copper in drinking water. The rule is part of the Safe Water Drinking Act, and it requires water systems to monitor drinking water at customer taps.  If lead concentrations exceed the Action Level of 0.015 mg/L (or 15 parts per billion) in more than 10 percent of taps, the system must complete additional actions to control the corrosion.
  • What is Eau Claire Water Works doing to control elevated lead levels?

    • Eau Claire Water Works treats the drinking water to ensure it is not corrosive.  We do this by pH adjustment that coats the surface of lead service lines, so the metal does not leach into the drinking water.

    • Corrosion control is an important part of Eau Claire Water Works’ treatment process.  By carefully managing the chemistry of our drinking water, Eau Claire Water Works ensures the water is not corrosive.

    • Each day, samples are analyzed to ensure Eau Claire Water Works’ treatment for corrosion control remains effective.
  • What can you do to limit exposure to elevated levels of lead?

    • Use only water from the cold tap for drinking, cooking, or preparing baby formula.

    • Flush the tap for two to four minutes before using water for drinking or cooking when no water has been used for several hours. Showering, washing dishes, or doing laundry can be effective ways to flush household plumbing before water is used for drinking or cooking.
  • Are Fire Performances Allowed in the City?

    In 2013, the City Council approved the creation of a city ordinance (16.32.017) establishing a permitting process for artistic performances involving the use of fire within the city.  These performances involve fire breathing, fire spinning, fire juggling, fire dancing, etc., but do not include pyrotechnics and flame effects.

    To obtain a fire performance permit or for additional information, please contact the Fire Prevention Division at (715) 839-4825, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and request to speak with a fire inspector.

  • Does the City allow Fire Performances?

    In 2013, the City Council approved the creation of a city ordinance (16.32.017) establishing a permitting process for artistic performances involving the use of fire within the city.  Fire art refers to performances or demonstrations such as fire breathing, fire spinning, fire juggling, fire dancing, etc. but does not involve pyrotechnics and flame effects.

    To obtain a fire performance permit or for additional information, please contact the Fire Prevention Division at (715) 839-4825, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and request to speak with a fire inspector.

  • What types of animals can I keep in the City?

    The keeping of chickens, cattle or goats, swine including pot belly pigs, and snakes that are poisonous or in excess of 10 feet in length within the city limits are forbidden. To view Chapter 6.12 [PDF] of the Code for more information on keeping certain animals.
  • Is it legal for a person to go through the trash receptacles of others?

    A person is not allowed to go through another person’s trash in a dumpster or bin on either public or private property. Without permission of the property owner this is trespassing. When relating to receptacles by the curb, a person can ask/tell another person not to do so, however, the City does not have an ordinance prohibiting the collection of recyclables from garbage receptacles that are on the curb. If any behaviors are a concern beyond just the collection of recyclables such as aluminum cans, a person may contact the police department at 715-839-4975.

  • Can I bow hunt in the city limits of Eau Claire?

    Yes. The City Council approved an ordinance allowing bow hunting within certain areas of the city.  View answers to your frequently asked questions, and more informational links and documents including the ordinance relating to bow hunting.
  • Can I operate my ATV or electric bicycle on the sidewalk?

    View chart that displays information on different forms of transportation and guidelines [PDF] on where a person can legally operate that type of vehicle.
  • Can I operate a business out of my home?

    Yes. View Conditional Use Permit application and information required in order to get approval for your business. You may also contact the Planning and Development Department at 715-839-4914.
  • Can I raise honey bees in Eau Claire?

    Yes. The Code of Ordinance, Chapter 6.14, indicates that the keeping of honey bees is allowed in the City. A license application along with additional information and best practices for beekeeping can be found on the licensing page.
  • Does the City of Eau Claire allow the launching of sky lanterns?

    Sky lanterns have become increasingly popular as a way to celebrate.  However, they pose a serious fire safety hazard and their use is prohibited by National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) code requirements.  NFPA 1, 10.1.5, indicates "Any person who deliberately, or through negligence, sets fire to or causes the burning of any combustible material in such a manner as to endanger the safety of any person or property shall be deemed to be in violation of this code."  Further, indicates, "Open, recreational, and cooking fires shall be constantly attended by a competent person until such fire is extinguished."  By releasing the lantern with an open flame, the responsible party is liable for any damage or resulting fire caused by the lantern.  Another concern is that lit lanterns may cause a hazard to the flight paths of helicopters that travel to nearby hospitals and to airplanes approaching or departing the airport.

    Therefore, Eau Claire Fire and Rescue prohibits the use of sky lanterns within the city of Eau Claire.  If you have additional questions, please contact the Fire Inspections Division at 715-839-4825.

     Further information can be found on NFPA's website by CLICKING HERE.

  • What health concerns are there with mold?

    People who suffer from allergies may be more sensitive to mold in the air.  Other susceptible populations may include asthmatics, children and infants, the elderly, or individuals with existing respiratory conditions or a weakened immune system.  Symptoms of mold sensitivity are non-specific and many include nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, shortness of breath, wheezing, and in rare cases, mold infections in the lung.  If you suspect you have an indoor air quality problem, contact Environmental Health at (715) 839-4718 to set up an inspection.
  • How do I apply for POWTS and septic systems permits?

    In Wisconsin, a permit to install a Private On-Site Waste Treatment System (POWTS) must be obtained by a Wisconsin Licensed Master Plumber or Master Plumber – Restricted Sewer.  Contact a plumber to begin the process of installing a new or replacement POWTS.  A list of plumbers who routinely work in Eau Claire County is available at the Eau Claire City-County Health Department. 
  • How do I report a possible food or waterborne illness?

    The Eau Claire City-County Health Department Environmental Health Specialists conduct food-borne illness investigations.  Outbreaks may be caused by food served in public restaurants or private gatherings.  Food-borne diseases detected by physicians are reported to the Health Department.  Individuals who feel they have become ill following food consumption may contact the Health Department at (715) 839-4718.
  • What do I do with possible rabies exposures?

    If you have been bitten by an animal especially a wild animal such as bats, skunks, raccoons, foxes, and coyotes wash the wound with soap and running water and consult a physician immediately.  To report a bite or exposure contact the Eau Claire City-County Health Department at (715) 839-4718
  • How do I submit a Parking Ticket Review Request?

    To submit a Parking Ticket Review Request you must have articulable proof of a legal justification or unique, extenuating circumstance that caused you to receive this citation in error. Lack of knowledge of, or disagreement with the parking regulations are not extenuating circumstances.
  • What can the WWWP program do for me?

    The Wisconsin Well Woman Program (WWWP) covers the cost of breast and cervical cancer screenings such as mammograms and Pap tests. If you have other health concerns you want to discuss with your provider, you will need to make a separate appointment or your provider can bill you for uncovered services.

    If you are not sure if a test that your provider is doing (or wants to do) is paid for by WWWP, ask them or call your coordinator @ 839-4718 BEFORE you have the test done. You will be responsible to pay for all services not covered by WWWP.


    *There may be times when your doctor cannot let you know they are doing a procedure that is not covered by WWWP before they do the procedure. Therefore, it will be your responsibility to pay for those services.

  • What do I bring to my appointment?

    Keep all of your WWWP forms. Bring your pink card with you to all of your appointments. Present it to the receptionist when you show up for your appointment so they know to bill WWWP. If you lose your pink card, call your coordinator before your appointment.
  • What if I receive a bill for services that should be paid for by WWWP?

    Do not pay any bill you receive for WWWP services. If you think you have been sent a bill – call your coordinator. Sometimes you may receive a statement for services and it does not require any payment. The facility just wants you to know they are billing your insurance or WWWP. If you receive an actual bill it is often times a simple mistake and the coordinator will call the billing department to sort it out. You should not have to pay anything for WWWP services.
  • What if the provider wants to do further testing?

    If you had an abnormal result at your first appointment, the provider may want to set up another appointment with you for further (diagnostic) testing.

    First, ask the provider if the services they want to do will be paid for by WWWP or if you will have to pay for them. If they do not know, call your coordinator.

    Second, if WWWP will pay for some or all of the services make sure to bring your WWWP pink card to the appointment. WWWP follows national guidelines for abnormal result follow-ups.
  • What if I am diagnosed with breast cancer, cervical cancer, or a pre-cancerous cervical lesion?

    If you have health insurance:
    Treatment services may be covered under your current plan. Contact your health insurance company or medical assistance representative to see what your plan covers.

    If you do not have health insurance:
    Call your coordinator immediately @ 839-4718! You may be eligible for Wisconsin Well Woman Medical Assistance that would cover the costs of your breast or cervical cancer treatment. There is a certain form to fill out at that time.
  • What if my provider says I need treatment for health problems other than breast or cervical cancer?

    WWWP is only a breast and cervical cancer screening program and does not pay for any other types of treatment. Therefore, you would be responsible to pay for services other than breast or cervical cancer screenings.

    Make sure to tell your provider that you will be paying for these other services and you need them to keep costs down as much as possible.
  • What happens at the end of my eligibility for WWWP?

    Your coordinator will send you a reminder letter before the end of your enrollment expires.  Enrollment lasts for 1 year at a time.  
  • How soon after a snowfall do property owners need to have their sidewalks clear of snow?

    By City ordinance, the owner of every lot or parcel of land needs to have their sidewalk clear of snow within 24 hours following a snowfall.
  • Why won't the maps open on the City's website?

    Your pop-up blocker may need to be deactivated.
  • When can I register for programs?

    To view registration dates click here
  • What are the Hobbs Ice Center open skating hours?

    Open skating schedules are available on the Hobbs homepage.
  • Where can I find information on Adult Leagues?

    Season schedules, fees, required forms can be found online.
  • Where can I view or pick up a Prime Times catalog?

    The catalog can be viewed online. Locations for pick up are also available on that site.
  • Where can I get a special event application?

    Applications can be found online or at the Parks & Recreation Administrative offices at 915 Menomonie Street, Eau Claire, WI 54703.
  • What are some common parade routes?

  • What makes an event a "special event"?

  • How early in advance must an application be submitted?

    Please submit your Special Event Application 60 days prior to your event.
  • How do I reserve a pavilion or shelter?

    Pavilions can be reserved online or you can print off a reservation form fax/mail or come down to the Parks & Recreation offices to reserve in person 915 Menomonie Street, Eau Claire, WI.
  • What are the pavilion/shelter fees?

  • What pavilions or neighborhood shelters are in Eau Claire?

    For pictures and amenities for

    pavilions and neighborhood shelters
  • How do I apply for an alcohol permit?

  • How do I reserve Phoenix Park?

    Phoenix Park requires special forms to be submitted at time of reservation.  There are also special requirements that users must follow.  Please see the Phoenix Park page for more information.
  • When can we reserve for the upcoming year?

    Typically we accept reservations the first Wednesday of December, the year prior.  For the exact date, please visit our Pavilion Page.
  • What are the Fairfax Pool hours?

    For Fairfax Pool information please visit the Fairfax Pool page.
  • How do I sign up for programs?

    Sign up using online registration.
    Sign up in person/fax or mail using a registration form found on the Prime Times page.
  • What are the dates of the up-coming elections?

    April 7, 2015 is the Spring Election
    There are no scheduled elections in the summer / fall of 2015.
    The dates of the 2016 elections are
    • February 16 – Spring Primary
    • April 5 – Spring Election & Presidential Preference
    • August 9 – Partisan Primary
    • November 8 – Presidential Election 
  • When are the polls open on Election Day?

    All voting sites open at 7:00 a.m. and remain open until 8:00 p.m. If you are in-line at your voting site at 8:00 p.m., you will be allowed to vote.
  • Where do I vote?

    You can look up polling place and other election-related information using a new function of the state's voter registration system. My Vote Wisconsin gives information about voter registration, voting history, normal polling place locations, current office holders, and sample ballots for upcoming elections.  (link to My Vote WI site)
  • How can I register to vote?

    There are three ways you can register to vote or update your voter information if you move or change your name; By-mail, In-person in the Clerk’s Office or In-person on Election Day.  You will need to provide Proof of Residence when you register or update your voter information.  Contact the Elections Office at 715 839-4913 for information on what documents work for Proof of Residence. 

  • How can I check to see if I am registered to vote?

    Unsure if you are registered to vote? Click here to access the state's My Vote Wisconsin voter information system.
  • I recently moved. How do I change my address for voting?

    If you address has changed, you need to re-register to vote. You can find out more information about registration at the state's My Vote Wisconsin voter information system.
    Wisconsin law requires that you live at your current address for 28 consecutive days to be eligible to vote from there. If you have lived at your new address for less than 28 consecutive days before the election, you are still eligible to vote from your former address.
  • Where can I see a sample ballot?

    Go to My Vote Wisconsin and enter in your name and date of birth. Then click on Sample Ballot on the left side of the screen.
  • I don’t live in Eau Claire, but I work here and there is a voting site near my work. Can I vote there?

    No, you have to vote in the municipality where you live. Click here to access the state's My Vote Wisconsin voter information system. Enter your address to find out your voting location.
  • How do I vote by absentee ballot?

    You must be a registered voter in order to request an absentee ballot. To verify your registration, go to My Vote Wisconsin and enter in your name and date of birth. Then click on Get Absentee Ballot on the left side of the screen.
    You can also cast an in-person absentee ballot at your municipal clerk’s office during the two full weeks prior to an election (the third Monday before an election through the Friday before an election). There is no absentee voting on the Monday immediately before an election.
  • Where can I get a work permit for my minor child?

    Work permits can be obtained through the Eau Claire Area School District. Follow this link for further information.
  • Where can I Get a copy of my birth certificate?

    Contact the Register of Deeds in the county where the birth occurred. For Eau Claire County, the number for the Register of Deeds is 715 839 4745. Their website is
  • Where can I get a marriage license?

    Contact the County Clerk. Residents of the State must apply before the County Clerk of the County in which either person is a resident. The marriage may take place anywhere in the State. Out-of-State residents must apply in the County where the marriage ceremony is to be performed.
    For Eau Claire County, the number for the County Clerk is 715 839 4801. Their website is
    For Chippewa County, the number for the County Clerk is 715 726 7980. The website is:
  • Where can I pay a fine?

    Parking citations issued by the City of Eau Claire are handled through the Online Parking Citation Payment site.
    Other citations are paid at the Clerk of Courts Office.
    Eau Claire County Clerk of Courts – 715 839 4816 – 721 Oxford Ave, Eau Claire, WI 54703
    Chippewa County Clerk of Courts – 715 726 7758 - 711 N Bridge St., Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
  • Where can I talk to someone about jury duty?

    The number for the Eau Claire County Clerk of Courts – Jury Clerk is 715 839-1868.
    Click here for their website:
  • When do the different Boards and Commissions meet?

    •Administrative Review Board meets as needed. For more information, contact the City Attorney's Office at 839-6006.
    •Affirmative Action Committee meets quarterly. For more information, contact Human Resources at 839-4921.
    •Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Commission meets at 7:00 pm on the third Tuesday of the month. For additional information, contact the Public Works Department at 839-4934.
    •Building Code Committee meets as needed. For more information, contact the Inspections Division at 839-4947.
    •City-County Board of Health meets at 5:15 pm on the fourth Wednesday of the month. For more information, contact the City-County Health Department at 839-4718.
    •Board of Heating Examiners meets as needed. For more information, contact the Inspections Division at 839-4947.
    •Housing Advisory Board meets as needed. For more information, contact the City-County Health Department at 839-4718.
    •Housing Authority meets at 7:45 am in the fourth Monday of the month. For additional information, contact the Housing Division at 839-4943.
    •Landmarks Commission meets at 4:30 pm on the first Monday of the month. For additional information, contact Community Development at 839-4914.
    •Library Board meets at 5 pm on the third Thursday of the month. For additional information, contact Library Administration at 839-5002.
    •Plan Commission meets at 7:00 pm on the first and third Mondays of the month. For additional information, contact Community Development at 839-4914.
    •Police and Fire Commission meets at 4:00 pm on the third Thursday bi-monthly. For additional information, contact Human Resources at 839-4921.
    •Redevelopment Authority meets at 7:30 am on the third Wednesday of the month. For additional information, contact Community Development at 839-4914.
    •Special Assessment Deferment Committee meets as needed. For more information, contact the Finance Department at 839-6044.
    •Transit Commission meets at 6:00 pm on the third Wednesday of the month. For additional information, contact Public Works at 839-4934.
    •Utility Appeals Board meets quarterly as needed. For more information, contact the Utilities Administration at 839-4954.
    •Waterways and Parks Commission meets at 7:00 pm on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
    For additional information, contact Parks and Recreation at 839-5032.
    •Zoning Board of Appeals meets as needed on the first Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm. For more information, contact the Inspections Division at 839-4947.

    Meeting times are occasionally changed. To confirm time, date, and location, please call 839-4902. As noted, some boards and committees meet as needed. Public notices are always posted and provided to the news media. The public is welcome at all meetings.
  • Which Boards, Commissions and Committees are appointed by the City Council?

    •Downtown Eau Claire, Inc. Board
    •City/County Board of Health
    •Housing Authority
    •Library Board
    •Police and Fire Commission
    •Redevelopment Authority

    (The City Council appoints all members to these Committees, except the Downtown Eau Claire, Inc. Board.)

    These Boards, Commissions and Committees are appointed by the City Council but act independently.
  • Which Boards, Commissions and Committees created with specific criteria defined by the program?

    •Business Improvement District Boards
    •Development Zone Advisory Committee (State)
    •Joint Commission on Shared Services Initiatives (City, County, School District)
    •Revolving Loan Fund Committee (Federal/Uniroyal)
    •Superior Seven Mile Creek Landfill Standing Committee

    (The City Council appoints members to these Committees, except for the Superior Seven Mile Creek Landfill Standing Committee and the Joint Commission on Shared Services Initiatives, of which they appoint some representatives.)
  • Which City Boards, Commissions and Committees are advisory to the City Council

    •Advisory Committee on Appointments
    •Affirmative Action Committee
    •Economic Policy Advisory Committee
    •Landmarks Commission
    •Plan Commission
    •Transit Commission
    •Waterways and Parks Commission

    (The City Council appoints all members to these Committees.)
  • Which Boards, Commissions, and Committees are established to hear appeals, make code recommendations or grant licenses?

    •Building Code Committee
    •Board of Heating Examiners and Appeals
    •Housing Advisory Board
    •Special Assessment Deferment Committee
    •Utility Appeals Board
    •Zoning Board of Appeals

    (The City Council appoints all members to these Committees.)
  • How much time does it take?

    We can typically view the interior of your home in about ten minutes.  The assessor might spend a few more minutes outside verifying exterior information and may take a photo of the exterior of your home.

  • Isn't this an unnecessary expense?

    Property assessments are based on the records we maintain for each property, so it is important the records be kept as current as possible.  Secondly, long periods between property record revisions usually result in necessity of hiring costly outside help to assist in the process. Since we are using our own staff to update the records over a period of several years, the budget impact is minimal.

  • It seems unfair to want to look at my home now. Why aren't all homes viewed at the same time?

    Since assessing staff are looking at all of the homes, we need a period of several years to complete the entire city.  By spreading the work over a few years, we can avoid hiring additional help.

  • Can't you just use the existing property record? My house hasn't changed sine the last time it was viewed.

    The last time we viewed homes throughout the city was during a three year period that began in 1998.  We understand that many homes may not have changed since then, or some homes might only have minor changes.  However, we feel it is important to view all homes in a neighborhood within the same period so all property owners are treated fairly.  Major changes to a property typically require a building permit and are already included in the property records.  However, property owners may also make changes that do not require permits.  These changes can only be accounted for through periodic viewing of the interiors of homes.  If you would like to verify the accuracy of the property record for your home, please visit the City of Eau Claire GIS site.

  • What will the assessor look for when visiting my home?

    The assessor will verify the accuracy of existing information and look for changes that may have taken place since our last visit.  Examples of the kinds of information maintained for residential property include property condition, living area, finished basement area, number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, garage size, and additional features such as central air conditioning, or fireplaces.

  • What happens if I decide not to let the assessor look at my home?

    We appreciate the cooperation of homeowners in helping us do our job as efficiently as possible.  we are required by state law to base assessments upon an actual view of the property, or the best information available.  If we are not able to look at the interior of a property, we will determine the assessment by using existing records and our judgment concerning the interior condition and features of your home.

  • What is the purpose of a revaluation?

    The primary objective of a revaluation is to increase the uniformity or fairness of assessments. Revaluations are not done to increase individual taxes or the total amount of taxes collected by the city. Periodic revaluations ensure that property owners do not pay more or less than their fair share of property taxes.
  • How does this revaluation differ from assessments done in other years?

    Wisconsin statutes require an annual assessment of all taxable real and personal property. However, assessments are not typically changed for every property except during the year of a revaluation. During interim years, all assessments are reviewed and changes are made to account for new construction, remodeling, or other factors that may affect the market value of properties. Because the purpose of a revaluation is to increase uniformity, most property assessments will be changed to reflect current fair market values.
  • The assessors have not looked at the inside of my home as they did during some previous revaluations. Why is this revaluation being handled differently?

    We are using existing records to determine 2013 assessments. This procedure will save considerable time and expense, and will minimize inconvenience for the property owner. Residential property owners can verify the accuracy of their property data using the Free Property Search.
  • How are the new assessments determined?

    Wisconsin statutes require property assessments to be based on fair market value. Even though we are not viewing the interior of every property, the new assessments are determined only after an individual review of each property record. We are not applying percentage increases to certain types of properties or neighborhoods. Each assessment is based on an analysis of a number of factors that affect market value including the age and condition of the property, location, and the presence or lack of additional amenities.

  • When will I find out the results of the revaluation?

    Assessment notices will be mailed to property owners October 11th 2013. Adequate time will be set aside for informal hearings where the property owners can discuss their assessments with the assessors. Immediately following these informal discussions, the Board of Review will convene to listen to property owners who wish to appeal their assessment.
  • When will the new assessments appear on my tax bill?

    Tax bills mailed in December 2013 will be based on the new assessed values. The taxes will be payable by January 31, 2014, or if paid in two installments, by January 31, 2014, and July 31, 2014.
  • Can I request a tour of a fire station?

    As part of its fire education/prevention efforts, the fire department welcomes groups or individuals to tour a fire station. The average duration of a station tour is 30 to 45 minutes. 


    Request a Tour - carefully read the listed information before completing the request form.


  • What does the City buy?

    If your firm is interested in becoming a supplier for the City, this question should be asked when you contact purchasing department personnel. The City buys thousands of different products and services - most in small quantities, some in larger quantities.
  • Does the city have preferences for local products and services?

    No, but...for very small quantities of products or services that are needed quickly, it is usually most expedient to get them locally. So many of our smaller and even some larger purchases, where the need is urgent, will quite naturally, be made locally. Competitive pricing is obtained if there is time and if it is felt by purchasing personnel that the effort will be worth the time under the circumstances.
  • What are the different purchase methods?

    Competitive Sealed Bids: This method is used for construction, the cost of which is estimated to exceed $25,000, and for all other products and services, the cost of which is estimated to exceed $30,000. This is the preferred method of selection for larger purchases when the end product or result can be adequately defined and specified.

    Request for Proposal: This method is used for products and services when the end product cannot be adequately defined or specified or where factors other than the product or service need to be considered.

    Small Purchase: This method is used for all purchases the estimated cost of which is below the amounts stated for competitive sealed bids. The majority of purchase orders are issued under this method. However, only about 20% of the dollars are spent using this method. Written quotations, telephone quotations, catalog prices with discounts and other similar methods are also used to select vendors under this method.

    Sole Source: This method is used when competition does not exist for the required product or service. This may be the case where a product is patented and no other product exists that offers equal performance.

    Purchasing Card:
    The Purchasing Card is a tool for agency employees to make low-dollar purchases (typically under $500) for official agency business needs.

    Emergency Procurement: This method is used only when an emergency exists - where life or property is in eminent danger.
  • How can I enhance my chances of selling my products or services to the City?

    Do your homework. Find out what price was last paid by the city for the type of product or service you wish to sell. It is a public record.

    Read the IFB or RFP or RFQ carefully so that your submission is responsive.

    Know your competition and their pricing policies.

    Perform if you are awarded the contract. Follow up on delivery and make sure the end user is satisfied.

    Make suggestions to City personnel about how your product/services might improve production etc.
  • What are the "rules of the road"?

    Wisconsin statutes govern City procurement of construction. We have to operate within the law. If you are selling construction services, be familiar with Wisconsin Statutes 62.15 and 66.293. All other procurement (products and services) is governed by the City Code of Ordinances, Chapter 2.92. Read it and you will learn a great deal about how we must do business.
  • What about gifts/gratuities?

    It is very simple - we cannot accept them. We (any City employee and elected officials) cannot (by law) accept anything of any value. So do not offer any gifts or gratuities to any City employee or elected officials.
  • How quickly does the City pay invoices?

    Payment will, in most cases, be made within two weeks after delivery. The City pays bills every Friday. Sometimes payment will take longer if there is a problem with the product or service. If it's taking too long please contact our Accounts Payable department (715-839-4917) and they will research and inform you about the situation.
  • What if I feel I have been treated unfairly or wrongly?

    Call the City Purchasing Manager (715-839-4916) and discuss the matter. If you are unsatisfied with that discussion you have the right to file a formal protest. The procedure for filing a protest is described in Chapter 2.92.195 of the City Code of Ordinances. Do not contact elected representatives or the City Manager. They will refer you to the Purchasing Manager.
  • What if I must, in order to be responsive, submit confidential information to the city? Will it remain confidential?

    Truly verifiable confidential information, such as trade secrets will be kept confidential if that request is made in writing and the specific information is clearly identified. However, you should be familiar with Wisconsin's Public Records law since it defines what is public record and what is not. Although there may be things you and the City would like to keep confidential at your request, we may be unable to do so under Wisconsin Law.
  • What fees apply for online bill payment?

    Pay securely online at

    Online Payment Fees

    Credit Card Payments

    • Visa
    • MasterCard
    • Discover

    e-Check Payments

  • What are my bill payment options?

    1. Online
    2. Recurring EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) 3. Phone
    • 1-877-800-2956
    • Credit Card Payments
      • Visa
      • MasterCard
      • Discover
    4. By Mail
    • PO Box 1087, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1087
    5. In Person
    • City Hall 203 S. Farwell St, Eau Claire, WI 54701
    • Drop box location outside City Hall
  • Where do I vote?

    Wisconsin voters can look up their polling place and other election-related information using a new function of the state's voter registration system.  More...
  • Can I be notified if there is a job opening I'm interested in?

    Yes, If you are interested in a job that is not currently being advertised and wish to be informed when the job opens up, CLICK HERE.
  • Where can I find a list of the City job descriptions?

  • How can I get a copy of an accident report?

    The Eau Claire Police Department has now made most accident reports available through the Internet*. If you need a copy of an accident report, please go to and follow the appropriate link for our department.
  • What is the City's police recruitment procedure?

    Selection of police officers for the City of Eau Claire entails a process of choosing only the best qualified and professional persons for employment. The ideal applicant is a responsible individual with the ability to communicate effectively with the public.  More informaiton...
  • What are the legal parking distances from crosswalks, driveways, fire hydrants, and other vehicles?

    State Statute requires all vehicles park no closer than 15 feet from a crosswalk, 4 feet from a driveway unless otherwise indicated by a sign, 10 feet from a fire hydrant unless otherwise indicated by a sign, or 2 feet from the front or back of other vehicles.
  • When are Calendar parking regulations in effect?

    Calendar parking is in effect from November 1 through May 1 between the hours of midnight to 7 a.m.
  • Do I have to move my car at midnight to comply with Calendar Parking regulations?

    All new dates begin at midnight, which is when Calendar Parking regulations begin being enforced. If you park your car before midnight on the correct side of the street for the next day, you do not have to move your car at midnight as you will already be in compliance.
  • Why is Calendar Parking enforced when there isn't any snow?

    The City of Eau Claire maintenance crews have many jobs to complete other than snow removal and therefore need access to clear streets.
  • How do I know which side of the street to park on?

    Look at what date will begin at midnight and park on the equivalent odd or even side of the street.
  • What are even addresses?

    Even addresses are those homes having an address ending in an even number such as 2, 4, 6, 8, 0.
  • Why did my vehicle receive a parking ticket but the vehicle behind or in front of mine did not?

    Our officers issue citations through certain areas at different times of the night. The vehicles around yours may not have been parked there when the officer came through.
  • One side of the street has posted "No Parking" signs, how does that apply to during Calendar Parking?

    All additional parking regulations (including “No parking”)must be obeyed and are enforced even during Calendar Parking hours. This means that there will be some streets where no vehicles are allowed to park on the street at all on certain dates.
  • What can I do if my vehicle breaks down on the street and is unable to be moved?

    You must take all reasonable measures to have your vehicle towed off of the street to get it repaired. In extreme circumstances you can contact the Eau Claire Communications Center and request permission to leave your vehicle overnight. (This will not automatically exempt you from receiving a parking ticket. The burden will be on you to provide proof showing the issue and all attempts made to remedy it prior to receiving the ticket.)
  • How am I supposed to know all the parking regulations?

    It is the responsibility of every motor vehicle operator to know and understand all laws and ordinances that pertain to parking. This is a responsibility that a driver assumes when receiving a driver’s license. Lack of knowledge does not exempt anyone from a citation.
  • I am not from Eau Claire; how am I supposed to know the parking regulations?

    Most parking regulations for the City of Eau Claire are adopted from Wisconsin State Statute and are therefore the same across the State of Wisconsin. You can access the parking regulations for the City of Eau Claire 24 hours per day on this website.
  • I have parked here before and didn’t receive a ticket; why did I receive a ticket now?

    Although the Eau Claire Police Department attempts to enforce all parking violations, it is not possible for all areas of the City of Eau Claire to be monitored at all times due to staffing levels and call volume. Certain areas of the City are monitored more closely due to parking volume, increased traffic and citizen complaints. Simply because you have not received a ticket before does not mean you are not in violation.
  • Does a crosswalk have to be marked?

    No. Crosswalks can be marked or unmarked per WI State Statute 340.01(10).
  • Why isn’t the curb painted yellow if it is a “No Parking” area?

    There is no legal requirement for the painting of curbs. The time and cost of painting every “No Parking” area in the City of Eau Claire is not feasible. The select curbs that are painted are done so to provide an additional visible reminder in higher traffic areas as a courtesy to citizens. Drivers are responsible for knowing and obeying the required distances from statutorily defined areas and objects.
  • I sold my vehicle and did not remove the license plates, now I am receiving notice of parking tickets for that vehicle. What can I do?

    In Wisconsin the seller of a vehicle is responsible for removing the vehicle’s license plates before selling the vehicle to another individual. You are responsible for contacting the Wisconsin Department of Transportation to clear up this matter. The Eau Claire Police Department does not have the ability to remedy issues involving vehicle title and registration.
  • When is a posted private parking lot enforced?

    The property owner or designee of a privately posted parking lot can contact the Eau Claire Police Department at his or her discretion to have vehicles ticketed and/or towed from the lot.
  • Can I park on my own lawn?

    No. All parking must be on an approved parking surface as defined by City of Eau Claire ordinance 16.36.080. Grass is not an approved surface.
  • I parked on the street prior to temporary “no parking” signs being placed for a special event. How can I be responsible for the ticket and/or tow bill that I received?

    The city of Eau Claire posts temporary “no parking” signs 24 hours in advance of each special event according to state law. Any vehicles that are parked in that area after the 24 hour notice are subject to ticket and tow. It should also be noted that any parking of a vehicle on public roads cannot exceed 24 hours at any time.
  • Why did my vehicle receive a ticket when others did not?

    There are a variety of reasons why this may have occurred. Officers may begin issuing parking tickets in an area and then get called away before being able to ticket other vehicles in violation in that area, the owner of another vehicle may have already removed the ticket or the owner may have parked the vehicle after the area was ticketed.
  • Why are parking violations in some areas of the City of Eau Claire monitored more closely than others?

    Although the Eau Claire Police Department attempts to enforce all parking violations, it is unreasonable to expect that all areas of the City of Eau Claire can be enforced completely and equally at all times due to limitations on staffing and call volume. Some areas of the City of Eau Claire are monitored more closely due to higher vehicle density, more pedestrian traffic and specific citizen complaints.
  • How can I get a burning permit?

    Burning permits are valid for the date of issue only. To obtain a burning permit, it is recommended that one first calls the Burning Permit Information Line at 715-839-3882 to find out if burning is allowed for that day. Local weather and DNR Burning Bans will dictate if burning is allowed. There is a $5 fee for burning permits. Campfires or cooking fires do not require a burning permit.

    One must go to one of the five fire stations within the City of Eau Claire where a burning permit box is located. Fire Station #10 (820 Malden Avenue) does not have a burning permit box.  It is recommended that the permit is processed at the closest fire station to where the burning will occur.  Five of the fire stations have RED self-service boxes where the citizen makes two copies of the permit information. One copy is put into the slot in the lid, and the other copy is retained with the citizen.

    Click here to view a sample permit


    For additional information, please call 715-839-4825.
  • I called for an ambulance; why did the fire truck respond?

    In the city of Eau Claire, the ambulances are part of the fire department. All fire engines are equipped with oxygen, defibrillators, and basic medical supplies; the firefighters are trained to deliver emergency medical care prior to the arrival of the ambulance. Many times the engines arrive minutes before the ambulance. The firefighters also assist the paramedics in lifting and moving patients from the basement or second story of the home to the ambulance.
  • I'd like to become an Eau Claire firefighter, what do I need to do?

    The application period for the 2019-20 firefighter eligibility list opens on January 2, 2019.  We are one of many fire departments that participate in a regional testing process designed to identify a qualified pool of entry-level candidates that is coordinated by the Chippewa Valley Technical College.  Please visit for further information on the application process.

  • What number should I call if I need the fire department?

    For any emergency, you should dial 9-1-1. This will connect you with the Eau Claire County Communications Center. They will determine the proper agency and type of equipment that needs to respond to your situation. Be prepared to answer the call taker's questions about your location and what type of problem you're having.

    For a non-emergency situation, consult the personnel listing on the department’s home page
  • Who takes care of the fire hydrants?

    Fire hydrants are installed and maintained by the Eau Claire Water Utility. The water utility directly charges customers for Public Fire Protection (PFP) to pay for the production, storage, transmission, sale, and delivery of water for public fire protection purposes. The PFP charge is billed quarterly as a fixed charge based on the size of the water meter. This money is not available to the fire department or used to pay for any service provided by the fire department.
  • Why do the firefighters take the fire trucks to the grocery store?

    The firefighters are working a 24-hour shift, beginning at 7:30 a.m. each day. They are required to purchase their own meals and typically pool their money for the day's meals. The units are always available to respond when they're at the grocery store. A side benefit is it gives younger firefighters the opportunity to drive the apparatus in non-emergency conditions, preparing themselves for the promotion to driver/operator.
  • Why does the fire department inspect buildings?

    The fire department inspects buildings to ensure they remain free from hazards that may endanger the occupants. The inspections are required by Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Codes. Most buildings are inspected twice a year. The inspections are performed by both the firefighters working in the fire stations and fire prevention officers, who have special training in building construction, fire detection and alarm systems, and fire suppression systems.
  • I am having a dispute with my landlord. Can you help me?

    Generally, the City Attorney's office cannot provide assistance in landlord/tenant disputes. Exceptions include cases where a tenant absconds without payment of rent, or where either the landlord or tenant is accused of housing code violations. You may want to contact the Consumer Protection Bureau with the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection at 1-800-422-7128 for information on landlord/tenant rights and obligations. They may also be able to provide assistance in resolving disputes. Also, Try Mediation, located at the Courthouse, 721 Oxford Avenue, 715-839-6295, may be able to provide assistance to you to remedy disputes.

    If the matter involves a housing code violation, e.g., failure to repair a furnace, you should contact the Eau Claire City-County Health Department at 715-839-4718.
  • Where can I find the Concealed Carry Ordinance and signs to post at my establishment?

    With changes in the state law through the adoption of 2011 Act 35, possession of firearms and concealed weapons is no longer statutorily prohibited in City Hall and other municipal buildings as of November 1, 2011.

    The City Council recently passed the Concealed Carry Ordinance, which prohibits weapons in certain City buildings and requires establishments serving alcohol to notify customers of the prohibition against consuming alcohol while carrying a concealed weapon. 

    Click here for signs that may be downloaded and printed by businesses and landowners, and click here for the ordinance

    approved by Council.

  • Can I serve wine/beer at my business to the public for a grand opening, ladies night out, anniversary, etc?

    Answer: No.

    Businesses that are open to the public and have no appropriate alcohol license cannot sell or give away or provide tastings of alcohol, including beer, wine, or spirits, to the public.

    An alcohol license is required to serve alcohol beverages. Wis. Stat. s. 125.04(1) states that no person (person includes individuals, corporations, LLC’s, etc.) may sell or engage in any other activity for which this chapter provides a license without holding the appropriate license. The City of Eau Claire forfeiture for violation of this statutory provision is $452.50. The penalty under state law is a forfeiture of up to $10,000, nine months in jail, or both (Wis. Stat. s. 125.04 (13)).
    If a business does not have an alcohol license, alcohol beverages cannot be sold or given away. Wis. Stat. s. 125.09(1) prohibits “consumption” of alcohol in unlicensed public places. For example, a business at an unlicensed premise cannot have an open house, grand opening, or event that caters to the general public and serves alcohol.
    Any charge made directly or indirectly for the alcohol beverage requires the person in charge to hold the appropriate license. The term “sale” is broadly defined. “Sale” is a transfer with consideration or transfer without consideration, if made to evade law, or any shift, device, scheme, or transaction for obtaining an alcoholic beverage (Wis. Stat. s. 125.02(20)).

    Examples of indirect charges include, but are not limited to, a ticket price including an alcohol beverage, cost of a meal including an alcohol beverage, a purchase of a service with a “free” alcohol beverage, or a donation required in order to consume an alcohol beverage.

    Wis. Stat. s. 125.315 prohibits the “giving” of fermented malt beverages to evade law (i.e., businesses such as credit unions, barbershops, salons, etc., giving away beer to customers without a fermented malt beverage license). Wine and spirits also cannot be given away in the same manner under Wis. Stat. s. 125.67. Again, the penalty under state law is a forfeiture of up to $10,000, 9 months in jail, or both (Wis. Stat. s. 125.66).

    For more information on alcohol licensing and local applications and deadlines, see the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website ( and the City of Eau Claire website (
  • I need some personal legal advice. Can I get it from your office?

    No. The City Attorney’s office only handles legal matters for the Eau Claire city government. A free legal clinic, sponsored by the Eau Claire Co. Bar Assn., is available to the public every 3rd Wednesday of the month from 6:30 and 8:00 p.m. at the public library. There is also a “Legal Referral and Information” number to call at the State Bar of Wisconsin - 608-422-7128. If you have little money, you may qualify for a public defender in a criminal matter. Their number is 715-836-2006.
  • My organization would like to sponsor a raffle. How do I go about this?

    Raffles are governed by the Wisconsin Division of Gaming at (608) 270-2555.
  • How do I file a small claims action?

    If the action arose in Eau Claire County, you file with the Eau Claire Clerk of Courts. For filing fees and related information contact the Clerk of Court’s office at 715-839-4816. The Clerk can answer questions related to filing a claim, but the drafting and prosecution of the claim is a private legal matter for you to review with a private attorney.
  • Can you tell me if a certain business in the city is licensed?

    Not every business that operates in the city is licensed by the City. The City licenses taverns, restaurants, taxicab drivers, tree trimmers, and direct sellers, to name a few. The state licenses other businesses. Please ask for the licensing specialist at 715-839-4923 if you have a question about whether a business needs a City license. If you have a problem with a particular business, contact the Better Business Bureau at 1-800-273-1002.
  • I have a new business I want to promote by distributing leaflets. Can I do this?

    If you’re going door-to-door, first know that you cannot place leaflets in mailboxes or on cars parked on city streets. You must get permission from the property owner before you leaflet vehicles in store or mall parking lots. And be concerned about littering, either by the wind or those receiving the leaflets, because you could be cited for it.
  • My landlord won't return my security deposit. What should I do?

    The City does not handle private lease issues between landlords and tenants. Contact the State Consumer Protection office at 1-800-422-7128 for advice.
  • My neighbor is building a new home and the construction crew starts at 6:00 A.M. Is that okay?

    The City has a policy that limits construction work to the hours between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. If you have problems, call our Code Compliance Inspector at 715-839-4947.
  • My neighbor's tree hangs over my lot line and drops leaves in my yard. Can I cut the branch down?

    This is a civil matter for you and your neighbor to work through. The City Attorney’s office cannot become involved.
  • I want to contest a citation and talk to the City Attorney's Office about it. How can I do this?

    You must enter a not guilty plea. You can do this either by appearing in court on your initial appearance date as noted on your citation, by writing a letter to the Clerk of Courts office or by completing a not guilty form [PDF] and providing it to the Clerk of Courts Office at the courthouse. See more information [PDF] provided by the Clerk of Courts office on traffic citations.
  • I want to check on a court date. How do I do that?

    It depends on the status of your citation. If you have access to the internet you can obtain information online at the Wisconsin Court System Circuit Court Access site at You may also check with the Clerk of Courts at 715-839-4816 or the Court Officer at 715-839-4985.

  • I need to speak with the District Attorney. Is this the right office?

    The District Attorney is a county office. Their phone number is 715-839-4828.
  • I have a neighbor who is regularly causing a considerable amount of noise. What can I do?

    The City of Eau Claire does have a noise ordinance Section 9.56.070 [PDF]  which prohibits unreasonable noises which tend to cause or provoke a disturbance. Also, there is a policy which limits most construction activity near residential areas causing noise between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. If you encounter such a problem, contact the Eau Claire Police Department at 839-4972.

  • How early can refuse haulers begin collecting garbage?

    5:00 a.m. For additional regulations concerning refuse collection, contact the Eau Claire City-County Health Department at 839-4718.